One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is make sweet breads that we can snack on all week long. While they’re not always the healthiest recipes, I like that they’re homemade and a less processed than anything we’d pick up at the store. I always cook sweet breads in an 8×8 square pan. I find that the bread cooks more evenly and we avoid the crispy heels that none of us are a fan of. We pack them in lunch bags for dessert or for an after school snack.
Our favorite is banana bread, but it’s safe to say this Apple Pie Bread is now going into the rotation!
I got the recipe from Pip and Ebby and made a few small modifications:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (you could also add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, but I left this out)
- 3 large apples, peeled, sliced and cut into small chunks (about the size of diced onions), I used HoneyCrisp and Opal Apples, because that’s what I had on hand.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×9-inch glass pan with olive oil spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is creamy. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add the flour mixture to the large bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in the apples and pour into the oiled pan.
- To make the topping, combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter with 1/2 cup each of flour and brown sugar. Mix with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter – I used only 1/2 of the mixture, just enough to cover the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes, checking for doneness starting at 45 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of the bread.
- Cut into 16 squares and serve warm. Want to really go for the “wow” factor? Drizzle just a little ice cream caramel over the top. Oh. Yes. I. Did.
Do you prep snacks and meals? I’d love to hear your tips, below!