Sew Pajama Pants from Vintage Sheets

Sew Pajama Pants in just 15 Minutes

If you’ve followed my blog for any amount of time, you know that I love all things vintage. Lately, I’ve been especially fond of vintage sheets, afghans and quilts. I’m always brimming with ideas for repurposing these treasures, and I even sell my finds in  my small Etsy Shop. Last year I shared an article with genius ways to repurpose vintage sheets, and I fell in love with the idea of sewing pajama pants from vintage sheets.

What could be better? The soft feel of summer sheets paired with gorgeous vintage patterns.

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

I ‘ve had this pretty flat sheet for nearly a year. I picked it up for a steal – I believe less than a dollar – but part of me hated to cut them up. However, It just wouldn’t sell on my Etsy shop. I took it as a sign. It was time to cut.

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

I realized I could sew a pair of pajama pants for me and both of my girls from the same sheet,  and fell in love with the idea of matching mother daughter pj’s.

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

The best part of these pants is the way they look and feel.

It’s just icing on the cake that they are SO easy. You can make these pajama pants by sewing just three seams and in less than 15 minutes.

First, fold your fabric over and lay your favorite pair of pajama pants on top. Be sure to place the bottom hem about 1″ above the finished hem of your sheet. You want to take advantage of all of the existing hems on your sheet to make this project extra easy!

You’re going to cut about 1″-1.5″ around your finished pajama pants – with another extra inch or two at the waist. Then, fold your sheet again and cut one more time.

Pajama Pants from Vintage Sheets

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

Turn your cut pieces wrong side out and hem the long side of each leg, up until about 0.5″ from the crotch.

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

Now, turn your legs right side out. You’re going to sew the two legs together by sewing seams 1 and 2, as shown in the below photo.

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

Finally, try the pants on and determine where you’d like the waist to hit. Fold it over, pin, and sew the waist closed, leaving about 1″ left un-sewn. You will fish your elastic through this band and sew the two ends together. Finally, stitch the waistband closed.

That’s it! Your pajama pants are done!
Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

The girls and I are obsessed with these. We’ve already decided we’re going to need more pairs. At about $0.33 per pair, I think I can swing that.Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

What do you think of our pajama pants  from vintage sheets? Would you make these for yourself? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Sew pajama pants from vintage sheets

12 thoughts on “Sew Pajama Pants from Vintage Sheets

1. Hedy says:

I love your pants and I think I have that sheet too. I originally bought vintage sheets to be backs for my quilts but my long arm quilter doesn’t do well with them. I probably have about 25 sheets now. I think I’d like to make some simple nightgowns for myself as I don’t wear PJ pants. Thanks for the idea.

• fivemarigolds says:

That is good to know, Hedy! I always thought I’d like to make a quilt with my various linens but it’s helpful to know they are tricky for quilting. You could do so many wonderful things with your linens, and I can’t wait to see what you do!

2. Linda Bochenek says:

These are fantastic!!! I’ve been buying up vintage sheets and making surgery drain bag aprons and donating to mastectomy patients. The bags looks adorable and are appreciated by the ladies.

3. Twala says:

I LOVE vintage sheets as well. I have a daughter in college that I think would be thrilled with vintage PJ’s! Thanks for the idea!

4. Jackie Clements says:

Would the front and back of the pjs be the same? Usually the front area is a little smaller, as with most trousers, would your method have equal front and back, and feel a bit bulky in the front (ie below the waistline)? Or am I reading the instructions wrong? Have some sheets ready to go!

• fivemarigolds says:

Hi Jackie – you will find when you use your existing pajama pants as a template (front and back) the front will be less bulky than the back. You can always go in later to sew the seams for the front, but better to start with more fabric than less! Be extra sure to also add plenty of length to the waist as well so you have room to add the elastic!

• fivemarigolds says:

Hi AnnaLisa, I wish I’d taken more detailed photos! I started at the “crotch” (technical term) area where the seams from each pant leg meet up in the middle. I then sewed from that area all the way up the backside. Then, I went back to the middle and sewed the remaining pieces all the way up to the front side. I like to start in the middle so I’m extra sure my fabric doesn’t shift and the crotch area is reinforced.

5. Krystal Wight Armstrong says:

Ha, these are so amazing! I got it in my head that I wanted to make my own ‘nice’ PJ pants and went looking for diy sewing patterns, and found this post. Super fun surprise to see yours made of beautiful vintage sheets, because I genuinely also collect these same percale pretties! I’ve had a thing for them ever since inheriting the ones I grew up using at my grandparents house, and now I look for other vintage sheets for sewing crafts and sweet bedding for my girls too! Had not considered them for pj pants, I was gonna use flax linen fabric, but yours are so gorgeous!

Annyway, after gushing, I’m also commenting to ask a question. I don’t suppose there’s really a way for you to help me with this…but I’m really wanting to know how to get the exact style/cut of your pant legs here. My own current pj pants are comfy but not the shape I want, and I love the wider bottom on yours….trying to find a helpful pattern that will show me the exact right shapes to cut out. (I’m a details person and want these to be *just* right!)
    If you have any ideas on how to convey those shapes…or maybe want to add a flatlay pic of yours 😉 that would be so helpful, but I understand if I just need to figure it out some other way.

Either way, thanks for this encouraging, inspiring, super pretty post. And I’m excited to have found you…gonna check out more of your site now too! : )
    Thanks & Happy Wednesday!

• fivemarigolds says:

Aw thank you so much for your kind words and I only wish I’d started collecting earlier so I could have saved some from my grandmother! I do not have a pattern I can recommend but my advice is to cut a straight leg all the way down. And, I was extra generous when cutting based off of my existing pajamas, because of course sheets have no give and I wanted them to be roomy! I hope your pajamas turn out exactly like you want them—I’d love to see them when you are done!

Comments make my day!

See where I link up, here!