Decadent chocolate brownie cookies with a creme de menthe filling, fashioned after the popular grasshopper cocktail.
A BIG THANK YOU TO NELLIE’S FREE RANGE EGGS FOR SPONSORING THIS RECIPE, Grasshopper Sandwich Cookies. ALL OPINIONS ARE MINE ALONE.
Nothing goes together quite like mint and chocolate chips! As St. Patrick’s Day approaches, I thought it would be fun to whip up an ode to these flavors with Grasshopper Sandwich Cookies.
These cookies are soft, fudgy and filled with creme de menthe goodness.
St. Patrick’s Day doesn’t always get the fanfare that other more commercial holidays tend to get, because you can only take green recipes so far…right? Fortunately, this dessert saves the day for your upcoming festivities.
These come together quickly…but if you’re looking for a hack to save even more time, scroll to the bottom! 😉 Start by combining the chocolate chips and butter, then microwave for 40-60 seconds, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth.
Add the sugar and egg and mix until well blended. As a mom, I want to feed my kids the best. Nellie’s Free Range Eggs are the number one free range egg brand in the country, which why these eggs have beautiful golden yolks, stronger shells and a rich flavor.
Combine the flour until just incorporated. Then, scoop dough by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1” apart. (This recipe will make about 20-24 total). Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are just set.
Now, we could stop this madness right here, and you’d have the best brownie cookies of your life.
But we’re not quitters, so let’s take this recipe to the next level.
Combine softened butter, powdered sugar and creme de menthe. Blend until smooth.
Once the cookies have cooled, frost half of the cookie bottoms using the creme de menthe filling. Immediately top with the other half of the cookie.
Now, microwave the chocolate chips for around 60 seconds, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Pour the melted chocolate into a sandwich sized resealable plastic bag. Create a DIY piping bag by cutting just a small corner. Drizzle chocolate liberally on your cookie sandwiches. Finally, add chopped chocolate mint candies for garnish.
Delicious! Will you be making these Grasshopper Sandwich Cookies for St. Patrick’s Day? Let me know in the comments below!
MOM HACK: Want an even easier spin on this grasshopper goodness? Substitute the creme de menthe filling for a chocolate peppermint patty. Just add to the cookie sandwich while it’s still warm!
- 3/4 C Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 C Nellie's Free Range Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Sugar
- 1 Large Nellie's Free Range Egg
- 3/4 C Flour
- CREME DE MENTHE FILLING
- 1/3 C Nellie's Free Range Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 T Green creme de menthe syrup
- 2 C Powdered sugar
- 1/4 C Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4-6 Your favorite chocolate mint candies, chopped
- To make the cookies, combine the chocolate chips and butter and microwave for around 40-60 seconds, stirring every 20 seconds until melted and smooth. Add the sugar and Nellie's Free Range Egg and mix until well blended. Stir in the flour until just incorporated. Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1” apart (will make about 20-24 total). Bake at 375°F for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are just set.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine softened butter, powdered sugar and creme de menthe for the filling. Use a spoon to blend until smooth.
- Once the cookies have cooled, frost half of the cookie bottoms with the creme de menthe filling. Immediately top each frosted cookie with an unfrosted cookie to create a cookie sandwich.
- Microwave the garnish chocolate chips for around 30-60 seconds, stirring every 20 seconds until melted and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate into a resealable plastic bag, creating a DIY piping bag by cutting just a small corner of the bag. Drizzle chocolate liberally over the tops of your cookie sandwiches. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate mint candies to garnish.