The delicious sweet taste of almond pound cake balanced with the slightly tart red and blue berries make this red white and blue almond trifle recipe a showstopper at your Independence Day gathering!
Today I’m sharing my favorite EVER strawberry shortcake recipe…with a twist. This Fourth of July, wow your potluck guests with this Red, White and Blue Almond Pound Cake Trifle.
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of all things almond flavored. In fact, one of the most popular recipes on the blog is my Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookies.
I decided to give my favorite pound cake a little twist with the sweet taste of almond.
First, combine 3/4 C softened butter with 1 1/4 C. sugar. Then, add 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs.
I’ve mentioned before why we’re huge fans of Nellie’s. Their eggs are Certified Humane Free Range, meaning no cages and plenty of outdoor access. All of their hens are raised on small, family-owned free range farms. Plus, we can actually taste the difference.
In a separate bowl, combine 2 1/3 C. flour, 2 1/2 t. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Finally, add 3/4 C. whole milk and 2 t. almond extract.
Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350˚ for 50 minutes.
While the pound cake is cooling, whisk together 3.4 oz instant white chocolate pudding mix and 1 1/2 C. milk. Then, fold the pudding mixture into 8 ounces of thawed whipped topping
When the cake is baked and cooled, cut it into bite-sized cubes. I had a little fun with the Independence Day theme by cutting out little stars with my cookie cutter.
In a trifle bowl, (or single-serve cups, if you prefer!) layer pound cake, fresh berries and pudding mixture.
Top with a few berries and chill at least one hour before serving.
See? What did I tell you? Total. Showstopper.
This is my son’s favorite dessert ever! We make and enjoy this one throughout the year, using whatever berries we have on hand.
What do you think of my Red White and Blue Almond Trifle recipe? What is your favorite Fourth of July recipe? Please tell me in the comments below!
- Pound Cake
- ¾ C. Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ C. Sugar
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 ½ C. Flour
- 2 ½ t. Baking powder
- ½ t. Salt
- ¾ C. whole milk
- 2 t. Almond extract
- Pudding Mixture
- 3.4 oz. Instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1 ½ C. milk
- 8 oz. Frozen Whipped Topping, thawed
- Fresh berries
- Combine softened butter with sugar in mixer for two minutes.
- Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Slowly mix in whole milk and almond extract.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350˚ for 50 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together instant white chocolate pudding mix and milk. Then, fold the pudding mixture into thawed whipped topping
- Once the pound cake is cooled, cut it into bite-sized cubes.
Layer pound cake, pudding mixture and berries in a trifle dish, or single size cups.
Serve, and enjoy!