Classic Soft Serve Style Vanilla Ice Cream – and the secret ingredient is Marshmallow!
Thank you to Nellie’s Free Range Eggs for sponsoring this recipe for marshmallow ice cream. All opinions are my own.
Today I’m sharing one of our favorite things to make in our house all year long: homemade marshmallow ice cream. As the name implies, a key ingredient is marshmallow, but the flavor of this ice cream is a smooth, creamy, classic homemade vanilla soft serve.
This recipe comes together with 6 ingredients: milk, sugar, eggs, marshmallow fluff, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
Start by making a custard base using 2-4 egg yolks to thicken the base and create a richer taste and creamier texture.
The more egg yolks you use, the richer and creamier your ice cream. Use fewer yolks if you like a lighter or milkier ice cream consistency.
- 1 1/2 C. Whole Milk
- 2/3 C. Sugar
- 2-4 Nellie's Free Range egg yolks
- 8 oz. Marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 C. Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Combine the milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat. Heat the mixture just until steaming and bubbles appear at the edges, but don't bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly add the heated milk mixture to the bowl of egg yolks while whisking constantly until well blended.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and mix until combined. The marshmallow may not completely dissolve into the mixture - that's okay!
- Next, mix in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until chilled.
- Add the mixture to an electric ice cream maker and churn for about 25-30 minutes.
- Then, pour the ice cream into a freezer safe container and let it firm up in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours, or overnight.
Add egg yolks based on your preference for ice cream texture. Increase the number of egg yolks for a thicker, creamier texture. Fewer egg yolks produce a milker, less smooth texture.