We’ve established that I’m a big fan of ice cream. But, cake. Oh how I love cake, too! Eve chose Birthday Cake ice cream as one of her flavors for our ice cream truck and it didn’t take me any convincing to agree. I set to work researching recipes, but yet again found that most recipes called for eggs, which was not what I was going for.
So took my favorite ideas from the interwebs, then adapted a basic vanilla ice cream recipe to create this fabulous birthday explosion for the tastebuds.
What you’ll need:
- 1 C. Whole Milk
- 1/4 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix, separated (I used Funfetti)
- 2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 t. Vanilla Extract
- Buttermilk Icing (I made 1/2 of this recipe and used about 1/2 of that. You could also use store bought icing!)
- Sprinkles, if desired
What to do:
- Reserve half of your cake mix, and prepare the remainder in an 8″ or 9″ round pan. When it’s done, remove it from the pan and place it in your freezer.
- Place small drops of buttermilk icing on a small sheet of freezer paper, and then place it in the freezer to set up. I used an icing bag and a small round tip to make mine uniform because I was photographing it, but you don’t need to make these pretty. I also colored my icing to make it festive and pretty.
- Mix the milk, sugar, and 1/2 C. cake mix until the sugar and mix are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla, and place the mixture in the fridge.
- Cube 1-2 cups of the frozen cake into the size of croutons.
- Place the liquid mixture into your ice cream maker* about 20 minutes until it thickens. Then, slowly pour the 1-2 cups of cake cubes and desired sprinkles into the machine until it is lightly mixed.
- Place the mixture into a sealed container in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
*No ice cream maker? No problem. Freeze the chilled liquid mixture for 2-4 hours or until slightly thickened/frozen and then gently stir in the cake cubes and sprinkles. Chill overnight.
YUM! Your kids will beg you to make this recipe again and again. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please tell me what you think in the comments below.