chicken and wild rice soup is the perfect throw and go crockpot recipe for on-the-go family. A warm and hearty meal that’s kid-approved!
Today I’m sharing one our family’s go-to meals during the fall and winter months: Crockpot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. This soup is amazing because it’s truly a “throw and go” meal – just prep in the morning and come home to the wonderful aroma of this hearty, meal.
This meal is totally budget-friendly – using just a few simple ingredients to create a nutritious meal that will feed a crowd. Start with pre-packaged boxes of wild rice and seasonings, add chopped veggies like carrots, celery and onions, and throw in your leftover chicken.
This crockpot chicken and wild rice soup is perfect for the busy back to school season, as schedules get busier and temperatures get cooler. Plus – it makes lots of leftovers for kid-approved lunches!
Tips for Packing Soups for School Lunch
I like to prepare soups on Sundays and Mondays, saving plenty of leftovers for kids’ lunches in the coming week. Think soup is tricky to pack? Never fear. Here are my tips for preparing leftover soups for school lunches:
- Use a metal, insulated thermos. I’ve tried all kinds of containers, and have had the best luck with this one.
- Heat the soup a little beyond comfortable immediate consumption. In other words – overheat it!
- Meanwhile, pour hot or boiling water into the thermos. When the soup is done heating, dump the water, add the soup, and seal the lid tightly.
- Bonus tip: While I don’t like heating food in plastic containers, I often transfer the heated soup into a leftover sour cream or yogurt container to make it easier to funnel the soup into the thermos, mess-free.
- Add a fun lunchbox note so they have a “soup-er” day. 🙂
Are you a fan of my crockpot chicken and wild rice soup? Would you like more recipes like this? Let me know in the comments below.
Perfect for using leftover chicken, diced or shredded, and stored in the freezer until ready to use. Add more or less liquid to get your desired consistency.
Perfect for using leftover chicken, diced or shredded, and stored in the freezer until ready to use.
Add more or less liquid to get your desired consistency.