My favorite simple skinny granola: sweet, with just the right amount of crunch and highly addictive!
Today I’m sharing my very favorite granola recipe: sweet, slightly crunchy, and very addictive, you’ll find yourself making this again and again. I’ll show you how to make it with, and without oil.
I started making this recipe after combining a variety of my favorites over the years. My favorite use of granola is with milk as a cereal or to top my yogurt, and the sweet flavor of this recipe is perfect for either use.
But the texture. I love the texture of this granola! I hate the too-crunchy store-bought variety. This recipe is somewhere in between – just the right amount of crunch.
- 5 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C sliced nuts or seeds of your choice – I prefer almonds
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 1/4 C honey
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 T brown sugar
- 4-6 T oil of your preference
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 C coconut and/ or 1 C dried fruit
- Combine all of the dry ingredients except dried fruit. Melt butter and combine with brown sugar until dissolved. Combine with oil, and slowly add to the dry mixture, stirring until well coated.
- Spread the mixture onto a parchment lined pan or stoneware and bake at 325 degrees for up to 30-45 minutes (until brown), stirring every 15 minutes. Keep in mind that the granola won’t be crunchy until it sets and cools – so you’re keeping an eye on the color and making sure it doesn’t burn!
- Once done, add dried fruit, spread on parchment to cool, or place pan on cooling rack. Once cooled, store in a sealed container.
I promised I’d also share the oil-free version of this recipe. It’s great for when you’re trying to trim some calories and fat from your diet – and this version also packs a lot more crunch. So if skinny and crunchy are what you’re looking for, this recipe is for you:
Tell me, which version is your favorite? Full flavor with oil? Or the simple skinny granola with an extra crunch?
Looking for other simple skinny recipes? Try this Southwest Scramble breakfast – it’s the perfect recipe to prep and go!